Gil is a month old!

I can hardly believe it. And I thought time went by quick with just Gwen!

Gil is growing like crazy. At his two week appointment, he was 7lbs 8oz – up from 6lbs 4oz on day four … that’s 1lb 4 oz in 10 days! Go, Gil!

Then yesterday at his one month appointment, he weighed …

wait for it …

10lbs 8oz! That’s a weight gain of 3 lbs in 2 weeks – 3.5 oz per day. My midwife said in her 7 years of midwifery, she’s never seen a weight gain like that!!

He’s a long baby – already wearing 3-6 mo onesies, although 0-3 mo sleepers still fit him fine. I suppose his length is in his torso … even the 3-6 mo onesies look a bit like scoop-neck shirts :)

Gil has LONG awake periods – I’m talking 1.5 – 2 hours. He’s still nursing VERY frequently – every 45 minutes to an hour – but is at least giving me small breaks of awake time in between marathon feeds. He’s happier lately – not *quite* so fussy – which is lovely.

Nights are still rough – after a 3-3.5 hour stretch at the beginning of the night, he’s normally up every 1 – 1.5 hours. He’s also got a ridiculous habit of having lots of gas needing to poop sometime between 3 and 5AM and being very uncomfortable about it. Brad often takes him downstairs after he no longer wants to nurse and helps him work out the gas or poop. He’s often awake for 30 – 45 mins with me before Brad gets up with him, so that’s a long awake stretch in the middle of the night. Ah well. I just wish there was something that could help him work out the gas/poop *before* bed, as I suspect he’s waking so frequently due to discomfort.

Gwen’s doing well with everything – it’s definitely helped that it’s been nice and we’ve been able to spend our mornings at the park :) It breaks my heart, though, to not be able to “come!” with her wherever she wants to go. Thankfully, there’s no shortage of women there that she’s comfortable with – it’s nice o know that she’s securely attached enough to take the hand of one of my many mommy friends and drag them along with her :) I’m *definitely* looking forward to Gil having some happy and awake and not nursing times so he can hang out in the sling while I chase Gwen around. For now, if he’s not sleeping at the park, he’s nursing!

11 comments »

1. kim are you taking probiotics? i found things evened out a lot with gas and poop with alice after i started on mine. just a thought.

gil is SO CUTE. chris didn’t even know who he was when i showed him the pics b/c she’s changed so much. he looks just like brad!!! i love him. can’t wait to meet him.

xoxo

2. kim says:

Interesting! I haven’t been taking them – perhaps I’ll start! Thanks!

He is awfully cute, eh???

3. Chelsea says:

He’s super sweet Kim!!!

It might be worth google-ing probiotics for infants, I read some really interesting studies when Luke was a newborn. Thankfully he didn’t have any issues but I wish now I would have tried them with Mary!

4. kim says:

Chelsea, I think I’ve seen some similar stuff – about how our guts don’t have the proper microbial life and that leads to all the food sensitivities? I was thinking about giving him some probiotics, too. Thanks for reminding me!

5. Mummy says:

Thanks for sending your link, Kim. I often forget about blogs. I can’t believe how chubby baby Gil is! What the heck have you got in those jugs, pure cream? *Grinns* Your pictures are beautiful, and I can see a big change in both Gil and Gwen. Gill looks every bit his 10 lbs.8 oz. and Gwen looks like such a little girl in that picture. I’m glad Jenny mentioned about the probiotics. I hope it helps!

6. Brandy says:

Probiotics in your milk and then on your nipple for him directly could be VERY beneficial

BUT BUT BUT

find a DAIRY FREE one. Absolutely no point in introducing an allergen concern at his age but the benefit of the probiotic in his gut could be a nice change for him/you guys.

Are you at all limiting your own dairy? Just in case? Is it worth thinking about yet?

7. kim says:

Brandy – good point! I’m not sure if the one we have is dairy-free … I’ll have to check!

I’ve tried limiting my dairy – it didn’t seem to make a difference to his fussiness – I’m not (at this point) willing to cut out all dairy for the 10 days – 2 weeks required to see if it’s a milk protein issue. Because he’s only gassy overnight, I suspect it’s just a gut thing. My midwife suggested drinking fennel tea in the evening and this has seemed to help the last two nights!

8. I can’t believe it is a month already. CRAZY how time flies.

9. Brandy says:

OO fennel tea is a great suggestion and easy to do! Hope it keeps working!

10. Jen says:

I agree with you Kim – I have heard that around 3-4 weeks is when the baby’s gut is adjusting to the flora it’s taking in and getting used to and can make them a bit fussy. Fennel tea and probiotics are great suggestions…I hope his nights get better soon.

He is SO adorable! Way to go on the weight gain! I think he’s in competition with Anderson when he was a wee one! Watch out!

11. kim i’d skip giving him infant probiotics and just take them yourself. the flora passes from your breastmilk to him – at least thats what our MW told us :) but it’s up to you! i remember giving liam infant probiotics and they did help a lot